NEWARK, NJ - Similar to Monday’s result, the Binghamton Devils do it again with another win in overtime, this time at the hands of the Lehigh Valley Phantoms with a 2-1 final at RWJ Barnabas Health Hockey House. 3rd-year pro-Brett Seney scored just 24 seconds in for his 1st of the season as the BDevils are off and running with consecutive victories.
Evan Cormier (2g, 2-0-0-0, 1.96 GAA, 0.918 SV%) was in net for the BDevils and had better luck than the previous outing on Monday, as he came up with 25 saves, especially in the third as the Devils were somewhat shorthanded. Ex-BDevils’ netminder Zane McIntyre absorbed the loss as shots ended up 26-24 in favor of Lehigh Valley.
Phantoms got the jump midway through the first 1-0 on a goal by David Kase for a shorthanded tally as Binghamton couldn’t find their legs as they managed just three shots on goal. The goal was during an odd-man rush as Max Willman dished a backhander to Kase who then sent the shot high, glove side of Cormier. There were no goals in the middle frame as the Devils' play improved, however, the third period would be the team’s finest.
Binghamton would score the equalizer as Ben Thomson, in his return to Binghamton and with a nice individual effort, beat McIntyre one-on-one in front on a backhander. The Devils would seem to attempt to give it away with consecutive penalties but Cormier came up big on several occasions keeping it tied until OT arrived.
In the extra session, it took just 24 seconds before there was declared a winner as Captain Ben Street won the faceoff then connected, from behind the net, to Seney in front for the snapshot that sailed high over McIntyre’s shoulder as Binghamton is off and running once again picking off from where they left off of from the spring of 2020.
Line-Up, Game #2
Seney - Street - Foote, Gignac - St. Denis - Zetterlund, Studenic - Darcy - Thomson, Martel - Schmelzer - Irvine
White/Groleau, Okhotiuk/Bahl, Vukojevic/Walsh
Cormier - Brodeur
Scratches: Sissons, Rivera, Koules, Quenneville, Clarke & Schnarr
More From The Game
- Transactions: Ben Thompson was inserted in the line-up while goaltender Senn Gilles and Kevin Bahl were sent down from the NJ taxi squad while defenseman Josh Jacobs was called up.
- That will most likely be the final time Jacobs will don a Binghamton jersey as he has done all he can at the AHL level, and deservedly so.
- Speaking of the above mention, Thomson dropped the gloves with Garrett Wilson in the opening 00:56 seconds as both dropped the hammer but most likely a draw.
- Cormier played great, most notably in the third period as Binghamton could not stay out of the penalty box on back-to-back occasions.
- Rookie Defenseman Michael Vukojevic with a nice grab keeping the puck in the zone near the blue line on the tieing goal by Thomson, his third assist of the young season.
- BDevils back in action on Saturday as they take on the Utica Comets for a 4:00 matinee.
Your Three Stars