BRIDGEPORT, CT - The Binghamton Devils continue to roll as Zane McIntyre stopped all 36 shots he faced in his Devils debut and shutout the Sound Tigers by a score of 1-0 at Webster Bank Arena. The lone goal on the afternoon was by Janne Kuokkanen, who also made his Devils debut at the start of the weekend. The newly acquired pair were the difference on Sunday as Binghamton (30-24-4-0) swept the weekend with their third straight win and ninth out of the last eleven to inch closer to a playoff berth.
Bridgeport (20-32-5-2) and the Devils each were playing in their third game in three days, and it showed for the majority of the game with the Devils traveled by bus after Saturday night’s contest. They’ll get some much-needed rest this week before they will have to do it all over again next weekend.
After a listless opening period in which neither club looked ready to play, the only goal came halfway through the second as the Devils were on a 5v3 powerplay. Chris Conner’s short pass was set on a tee as Kuokkanen let a one-timer rip past Bridgeport netminder Christopher Gibson for his second goal and fourth point in three games.
In the final period with Gibson pulled for the extra attacker, Binghamton was looking for an insurance goal, and they almost did as Colton White rang one off the post with less than a minute remaining. The Devils clamped down on defense and pulled off the slimmest of margins for the win.
Shots ended up in favor of Bridgeport, 36-28.
Line-Up, Game #58
Seney - Street - Merkley, Conner - Sharangovich - Koukkanen, Baddock - Schmelzer - Bastian, Studenic - Schnarr - Zetterlund
White/Tennyson, Melchiori/Groleau, Cumiskey/Quenneville
McIntyre - Senn
Scratches: Paliotta, Maltsev, Gignac & Summers
Post Game Notes
**PLAYOFF WATCH** - Binghamton (64 pts) is in 5th place 1 point behind 4th place Syracuse (65 pts) with 1 game in hand and ahead of 6th place Laval (62 pts), also with 1 game in hand in the North Division.
- McIntyre was smooth and steady as he kept the boys in it when they needed it the most.
- Kuokkanen has 4 points for the Devils and overall 14 goals, 32 assists in 54 contests on the season.
- Nick Merkley had a rough afternoon as he committed a couple of turnovers as well as the defense with one of their, shall I say, not so great showings.
- Matt Tennyson, Chris Conner, Ryan Schmelzer, Julian Melchiori, and Kuokkanen were the 2nd unit on the ice during the Devils goal with a 5v3 advantage. And for those that are taking notes, the 1st unit consists of Colton White, Ben Street, Brett Seney, Nathan Bastian, and Merkley.
- 3rd Quarter Grades Reports will be out on Wednesday morning featuring evaluations from The Panel.
Your Three Stars
#1. Zane McIntyre (36/36 svs), #2. Janne Kuokkanen (1g), #3. Christopher Gibson (27/28 svs)