Binghamton, NY - The game started right, but as time wore on it ended up being just another loss, this time to the Syracuse Crunch by a score of 6-5. Binghamton would jump to an early 3-1 lead at the halfway point of the first period, but two late goals by Syracuse tied it as the Devils lost for the second time in two nights.
Devils’ defenseman Josh Jacobs scored his fourth of the season but a turnover by Matt Tennyson led to a goal by Alexander Volkov past goaltender Evan Cormier. Joey Anderson and Nick Merkley would put Binghamton (17-19-4-0) in front 3-1, both on a powerplay that would chase starting netminder Spencer Martin. However, a turnover at center ice resulted in a Crunch goal by Dennis Yan on a wrister from the hash marks. Then shortly after, Volkov again would score with 4.7 seconds left in the first on a turnover by Jacobs for Syracuse (19-18-2-2) to tie it at 3-3.
Binghamton opened up the second just 00:19 in with a tally from Mikhail Maltsev near the crease as the puck slid under replacement Mike Condon’s pads. Syracuse tied it once again as the puck took an odd bounce and off the post it went past Cormier with Taylor Raddysh credited with the goal. Volkov completed the hat trick with a shot from the goal line that went in off of Cormier to complete the middle frame with Syracuse up 5-4.
In the final period, the Crunch took a 6-4 lead off of yet, you guessed it, a turnover by Kyle Cumiskey in the corner that found the stick of Ross Colton in the slot area. Binghamton would make it interesting late in the period with Cormier pulled for the extra attacker as Nathan Bastian snuck a rebound past Condon with 00:54 left. The Devils almost tied it as Brandon Gignac missed an open net that would have brought the house down as the Crunch survive and come out with two points.
Shots ended up 32-31 Syracuse with a wild one that was entertaining to say the least.
Line-Up, Game #39
Seney - Sharangovich - Merkley, Conner - Maltsev - Anderson, Baddock - Schmelzer - Bastian, Gignac - Larsson - Schnarr
White/Tennyson, Mermis/Jacobs, Melchiori/Cumiskey
Cormier - Senn
Scratches: Paliotta, Studenic, Zetterlund & Groleau
Post Game Notes
- Lots of brush-ups and gatherings throughout the contest as these two teams are not quite fond of one another.
- Jacobs with a disappointing game with mistakes he normally doesn’t make that led to goals.
- Merkley is a very skilled forward and handles the puck well as he finished a goal and assist. Brett Seney had two assists, both on the powerplay.
- Brandon Baddock and Bastian drew the most attention from the Crunch as they normally do when these two teams lace-up. Cory Conacher was also up to his usual antics playing the role of an agitator.
- Cormier looked shaky as his glove was not there tonight. His bottom line reads 2-8-1-0, 0.883 SV%, 3.70 GAA for Binghamton this season.
- 2nd Quarter Report is up with The Panel. You can find it here.
Your Three Stars
#1. Alexander Volkov (3g, 1a), #2. Taylor Raddysh (1g), #3. Joey Anderson (1g, 1a)