Binghamton Devils’ veteran Eric Tangradi scored the game-winning goal with 1:08 remaining in the final period to give the BDevils a 3-2 comeback win over the Cleveland Monsters in front of 16,673 at Quicken Loans Arena. Goaltender Mackenzie Blackwood stopped 32 shots as he improved to 8-7-1-1 with a 2.59 GAA, 0.914 SV% on the season for the BDevils.
Defenseman John Ramage had two assists and forward Nathan Bastian also recorded a goal and an assist for Binghamton (22-24-5-0, 49 pts) to help keep their slim playoff hopes alive in the North Division. The two clubs will meet again on Sunday afternoon.
In the opening period, the Monsters jumped to a 1-0 lead on a goal by forward Kole Sherwood as he was able to put in a rebound in front. Cleveland made it a two-goal lead in the second as forward Sam Vigneault’s shot from high in the slot sailed through traffic as Blackwood never had a chance of stopping.
Then the Devils got some breaks and turned on the offense with three unanswered goals.
Forward Michael McLeod played a give and go with Ramage and was able to bat in the puck past netminder Jean-Francois Berube for his sixth of the season. Soon after, Binghamton tied it when Bastian pounded home a loose puck near the crease on the PP to round out the scoring after forty minutes of action. It would be his career high 14th in 50 games for the second year pro this season.
In the third period, with the two teams looked to be heading into OT, the Devils got the shot in the arm in a timely fashion as Tangradi scored the go-ahead goal on a second effort in front of Berube with a 1:08 showing on the clock. His jubilation afterward was contagious as the boys dug deep in the final minute to help preserve the lead and a win on the road. Shots ended up 34-28 Cleveland.
Line-Up, Game #51
Forwards: Tangradi - McLeod - Bastian, Gignac - Schmelzer - Studenic, Baddock - Pietila - Speers, Saracino - Sharangovich - Wolfe.
Defensemen: Yakovlev - White, Sissons - Ramage, Hammond - Jacobs
In Goal: Mackenzie Blackwood, Cam Johnson
Scratches: Brian Strait, Eddie Lack and John Quenneville
Post Game Notes
- BDevils had signed ECHL Toledo F Greg Wolfe to a PTO. F Nick Lappin and D Ryan Murphy called up to NJ prior to the game, D Egor Yakovlev sent down. F Blake Speers back after missing the last 6 contests due to injury.
- Bingo’s 3 game road losing streak snapped and are up 2-1 in the series with the Monsters with one more remaining on Sunday. This was also the first time a team from Binghamton played in Cleveland.
- Blackwood with a strong effort as his confidence is where it should be despite his success for NJ and being sent down as a result.
- Tangradi with what appeared to be a high elbow knocked D Ryan Collins to the ice with his head down as two Monsters jumped on top of Tango. Collins went directly to the locker room and didn’t return as Tango received 2 minutes.
- McLeod and Ramage stood out all night and gave the Devils their first goal with that nice back and forth passing. Ramage looked comfortable playing for the first time in his old surroundings in Cleveland.
- Marian Studenic also played a good game and was quite noticeable as he showed some grit in what was a physical style for the first two periods.
#1. Eric Tangradi (1g, 1a), #2. Nathan Bastian (1g, 1a), #3. Kole Sherwood (1g)
The two teams will meet again in a rematch on Sunday at 3:00pm.