Nick Lappin had three goals while Blake Pietila and Ryan Murphy added two assists each as the Binghamton Devils rolled to a 4-1 win over the visiting Utica Comets on Saturday. Goaltender Cam Johnson played well in stopping 22 out of 23 shots to help put an end to the team’s four-game losing streak and close out the 3rd Quarter with a 9-8-2-0 record.
It was a tight contest for the majority of the night as a big crowd took in the game on a rainy night in downtown Binghamton.
After neither team reached the back of the net in the opening twenty minutes, the second period turned in favor of the Devils. The Lappin show took over as his first tally was on the powerplay when he pounced on a rebound off the pad of netminder Michael Leighton and into the back of the cage the puck traveled.
Utica would then tie it 90 seconds later when Kyle Thomas took a redirect off the stick of Vincent Arseneau that was stopped by Johnson but the juicy rebound was there for the taken. But the Devils regained the lead for good when John Ramage’s hard shot from the blueline was redirected by Lappen halfway towards the net and sailed past Leighton.
Binghamton added two goals in the final period as Lappin was in a perfect position once again all alone near the crease and put in a loose puck that slid under Leighton off a shot from Ryan Murphy for another powerplay goal. An empty-net goal by Nathan Bastian would complete the 4-1 win for his team-leading 17th of the season as the players celebrated at center ice with a stick salute. Shots in favor of the BDevils 43-23 including a 20-4 margin in the third period.
Line-Up, Game #57
Forwards: Tangradi - McLeod - Bastian, Quenneville - Schmelzer - Lappin, Studenic - Sharangovich - Pietila, Baddock - Saracino - Popugaev
Defensemen: Yakovlev - Ramage, White - Murphy, Hammond - Jacobs
In Goal: Cam Johnson, Mackenzie Blackwood
Scratches: Brian Strait, Eddie Lack, Desmond Bergin, Blake Speers and Brandon Gignac
Post Game Notes
- It was Lappin’s 4th goal in two nights and the fifth point in the last 24 hours. His redirect in the second period was off a bullet sent by Ramage on a delayed penalty call against the Comets.
- Johnson looked strong as finally Blackwood wasn’t given the green light for another back to back outcome that hasn’t been all that favorable this season.
- Both clubs ran into penalty situations as the calls were legit from my angle. Utica 0/4 while Bingo 2/7.
- Popugaev should be considered for Adirondack while his adjustment continues early on. I think this pace of action is a little over his head.
- Hammond probably one of his better games to date as he’s work in progress that’s going to take some time.
- After missing a few games Pietila right back at it in producing points with two tonight as he leads the club with 35.
- If you would have asked me who would lead the club in goals at the start of the season, Bastian is one name that would not come to mind. With a career high 17 goals and 6 assists, he’s become a force and a staple on the first line with Tango and Mikey.
- Look for 3rd Quarter Grades and Player Evaluations from The Panel this coming Monday @ 9:00 AM.
#1. Nick Lappin (3g), #2. Cam Johnson (22 saves), #3. Blake Pietila (2a)
Binghamton will have a makeup game against the Syracuse Crunch on Tuesday after a snowstorm canceled out on Jan 19th.