Let me know if this sounds all too familiar. Binghamton takes the lead in the first period only to have it soon disappear with multiple unanswered goals scored against and end up with a loss.
The Toronto Marlies scored five unanswered goals after being down 1-0 in the first and sent the Binghamton Devils to their third straight defeat 5-1 on Friday. It would spoil Devils’ goaltender Evan Cormier’s first pro appearance as the club sunk to 15-20-3-0 on the season and in last place in the North Division.
Devils’ rookie forward Egor Sharangovich scored his sixth of the season for the only goal in the first period (and the game for Binghamton) as his tip-in went by Marlies’ netminder Kasimir Kaskisuo off a shot from defenseman Josh Jacobs. Cormier came up with some good saves as he got settled in but things would drastically change in the second period.
Toronto forward Chris Mueller (17) tied it with an apparent high stick and redirected the puck down low past Cormier’s five-hole near the crease. Another two quick goals 2:43 seconds apart gave the Marlies a 3-1 lead by Michael Carcone (9) and another by Mueller (18) on the PP.
In the third period, Toronto took a commanding three-goal lead with some swift tic-tac-toe passing from Calle Rosen to Jeremy Bracco that set up Adam Brooks (5) near the goal line for another PP tally as the Marlies made that one look easy. Soon after Carcone (10) scored his second of the night with a wrister off the inside post as Toronto won their second contest in a row 5-1.
Line-Up, Game #38
Forwards: Gignac - Rooney - Lappin, Baddock - Schmelzer - Bastian, Saracino - Sharangovich - Studenic, Ward - Speers - Gabriel
Defensemen: White - Kapla, Sissons - Ramage, Hammond - Jacobs
In Goal: Evan Cormier, Cam Johnson
Scratches: Brian Strait, Eddie Lack, Eric Tangradi, Eric Gryba and Michael McLeod
Post Game Notes
- F McLeod and D Gryba both banged up and are listed as day-to-day. Blake Pietila up with the big club called on New Year’s day.
- Marlies 1st goal the stick was definitely over the shoulders, including the crossbar as seen by replays but the goal would stand as it is not subject of a review in the AHL. However still, the refs missed it.
- Binghamton missing a bunch of important pieces to their line-up and couldn’t compete as another goalie appears to be down in Arizona tonight. This can get ugly really fast if Mackenzie Blackwood is now out.
- Coach MD was seen talking to the refs after the game had ended as he walked off the ice.
- Not much of a fight between the two clubs after fireworks went off in Toronto a week and a half ago that featured a line brawl after a hit on McLeod. A snoozefest could be included when summarizing this event.
- Shots ended up 29-20 Toronto as the Marlies went 2 / 3 on the power play while the Devils were 0 / 3.
- Look for 2nd Quarter Grades Report coming up this weekend, most likely on Sunday. Stay tuned to my twitter feed for actual post information.
#1. Chris Mueller (2g), #2. Adam Brooks (1g, 2a), #3. Michael Carcone (2g)
BDevils back at it on Saturday when the Bridgeport Sound Tigers pays a visit for the only appearance of the season.