The Binghamton Devils’ season came to an end on Sunday losing at the hands of the Utica Comets by a score of 4-3 in overtime at Adirondack Bank Center. With the Belleville Senators loss to the Toronto Marlies, both clubs ended up in a fifth place tie (63 points, 0.414 %) in the North Division with the Laval Rocket holding down the basement with 58 points, 0.382%.
It wasn’t exactly the way it was planned in ending the season on a high note, especially after taking two out of three in the previous weekend, as the BDevils lost all three capping off a disappointing weekend, including on Saturday in front of a sellout.
Binghamton goalie Cam Johnson played well in his fourth pro start as he came up with 25 saves on 29 shots including a nifty glove save on rookie defenseman Guillaume Brisebois late in the third period.
Nick Lappin scored his career high 31st goal midway through the opening period that put the Devils out front 2-1, in what could be his final game as a BDevil with a hard push towards making the big club in the fall.
Austin Cangelosi and Jan Mandat also scored for Binghamton as a bunch of regulars sat out to various injuries, which hit the team hard in the 4th quarter.
Let us hope for better results in 2018-’19 in Binghamton as everyone is itching to make the playoffs and go deep. Hopefully over the course of the summer we see signs of this becoming a reality with a slew of prospects in the system that might come to fruition.
Forwards; Bertschy-Seney-Lappin, Pietila-McLeod-Bastian, Lucia-Mandat-Latta, Baddock-Cangelosi-Thomson. Defensemen; Strait-MacDonald, White-Dyblenko, Dirk-Kapla. In Goal; Cam Johnson. Back up; Ken Appleby. Scratches; Brandon Gignac (inj.), Josh Jacobs (inj.), Bracken Kearns (inj.), John Quenneville (inj.), Jake Walman, Tim Kennedy (inj.), Kevin Rooney (inj.), Tariq Hammond and Blake Speers (inj.). Pietila, Lappin and Latta with the A’s.
Random Post Game Notes
- Binghamton should be a much better team next season with some young recruits in the system which I will periodically touch base on over the off-season.
- It will be interesting on how the goalies play out as Ken Appleby is a free agent. If he is not re-signed during the summer that’ll leave Mackenzie Blackwood and Cam Johnson in Binghamton, which is not reassuring.
- Lappin should be gone but I believe JQ will start the season here next season as well as Jacob MacDonald.
- Seney will be fine and I’m excited to watch his development.
- I’ll have more as the 4th Grade reports will run this upcoming week.
#1.) Jonathan Dahlen (1g, 1a), #2.) Lukas Jasek (1g), #3.) Patrick Wiercioch (1g).
Oct 6th, 2018 is the home opener for the Binghamton Devils’ 2018-’19 season.