Syracuse received two goals each from forward’s Alexander Volkov and Dennis Yan to pace the Crunch to a 6-2 victory over the Binghamton Devils on a snowy Wednesday at The Floyd. Goaltender Eddie Lack (4-6-4-0, 2.74 GAA 0.903 SV%) took the loss with 27 saves on 33 shots and John Quenneville scored his 12th and 13th goals of the season in the lopsided event. With the rival Crunch win, they then earned a spot in the upcoming post season action.
Nothing was going right for Binghamton (20-32-7-3) as they appeared flat while the defense was non-existent, as Syracuse (37-19-3-4) seemed to be able to score at will and made it look easy. There were several key defensive break downs with leaving players open as Lack wasn’t his best mind you, but didn’t receive much help either.
The Devils got both goals from Quenneville with the first on a deflection off his shoulder past Syracuse netminder Louis Domingue that made it a 2-1 Crunch lead early in the second period. The other came at 41 seconds into the final period for a power play tally from a quick feed by Bracken Kearns near the goal line, as the Devils then trailed 4-2.
However, Volkov upped the lead to 5-2 with his second of the night and Crunch forward Olivier Archambault then rounded out the scoring with under three minutes left on a power play goal, their second as the BDevils lost their second in a row in front of a small gathering due to a Nor’easter.
Forwards; Kearns-Rooney-Lappin, Quenneville-Kennedy-Bertschy, Pietila-Speers-Latta, Lucia-Mandat-Bastian. Defensemen; Strait-Jacobs, MacDonald-Santini, Kapla-White. In Goal; Eddie Lack. Back up; Mackenzie Blackwood. Scratches; Brandon Gignac (inj.), John Edwardh, Ken Appleby, Jake Walman, Brandon Baddock, Yaroslav Dyblenko and Ben Thomson. Rooney, Kearns and Latta with the A’s.
Random Post Game Notes
- 6 players were healthy scratches as Kowalsky has the luxury of mixing it up, in and out of the line-up, with next season as the main objective.
- Lots of easy tap-ins for Syracuse tonight as they just ate up the Devils’ defense.
- Total shots 33-30 Syracuse, and at one point it was 14-2 Crunch in the first period, as the Devils jujst couldn’t find their legs and took the loss to the better team.
- Devils powerplay has been awful lately despite scoring one, with (once again) very little structure in the offensive end but give credit to the 8th place PK for the Crunch.
- Club boards a flight to Charlotte on Thursday as I expect all three goaltenders to be taking the trip.
#1.) Alexander Volkov (2g), #2.) Dennis Yan (2g), #3.) John Quenneville (2g)
BDevils are on the road this weekend with a trip down to Charlotte for two games, Saturday night followed by a matinee tilt on Sunday.