For the second time in less than 24 hours the Devils and Amerks went past regulation to decide which team would earn a W along with the extra point and Binghamton came up on top once again, this time in a shootout. Rookie Defenseman Jake Walman scored both goals in his first game back from injury in the Devils 2-1 victory over Rochester (26-13-8-6) on Sunday afternoon at the Blue Cross Arena.
Binghamton (15-27-6-3) received another strong performance from netminder Ken Appleby after his shutout performance on Saturday and earned the #1 Star of the Game with his 22 saves, including a rare penalty shot 00:12 into the overtime period by forward Kyle Criscuolo, as he was tripped up but his sliding leg save kept the action going.
Walman, who is here on loan from St. Louis and missed his previous five games, scored the lone goal for the BDevils midway through the middle frame with a monster of a one-timer past Rochester goaltender Linus Ullmark low, glove side that tied it at 1-1 for his third of the season and first as a BDevil.
He also was the only scorer in the SO as the crafty left-hander beat Ullmark high, short side that gave Binghamton it’s second straight win both coming at the hands of the Amerks.
Criscuolo grabbed the lead at 8:50 in the second on his re-direct that trickled past Appleby, but it was short lived as Walman tied it two minutes later. That would end the scoring until the shootout as the Amerks and BDevils both finished up their three-in-three weekend.
Forwards; Kearns-Kennedy-Speers, Lucia-Rooney-Bertschy, Mandat-Cangelosi-Bastian, Baddock-Penny-Thomson. Defensemen; Strait-Jacobs, MacDonald-Santini, Kapla-Walman. In Goal; Ken Appleby Back up; Mackenzie Blackwood. Scratches; Brandon Gignac (inj.), Yaroslav Dyblenko (inj.), Kevin Morris (inj.) and Michael Latta. Strait and Rooney with the A’s.
Random Post Game Notes
- Devils offense managed just 4 goals over the weekend and 8 in the last 6 games as the team ranks dead last in the AHL with a 2.34 average.
- Bingo went 0/5 on the power play as the scoreless streak has now hit 6 games.
- For the second game in a row Devils outshot Rochester, this time 31-23.
- Christoph Bertschy, Mario Lucia and Walman were the shooters for Binghamton, Seth Griffith, Kevin Porter and Alexander Nylander for the Americans.
- A fight broke out at center ice along the boards in the early part of the first period between Brandon Baddock and Dalton Smith as both were swinging wildly and missing.
#1.) Ken Appleby (22 saves), #2.) Linus Ullmark (29 saves), #3.) Kyle Criscuolo (1g)
Devils visit Toronto for the third time in less than two weeks on Wednesday for a 11:00am faceoff.