Brandon Gignac had a four-point night while Mike McLeod recorded three assists as the Binghamton Devils came back with four third period goals en route to a 6-3 final over the Providence Bruins on Friday at The Floyd. Devils’ goalie Cam Johnson had a strong finish with the Bruins attacking late in the third period (17 shots) as he ended with 29 saves on the night.
Binghamton (13-16-3-0) played shorthanded with a handful of regulars out of the lineup with various injuries, but the Devils battled back after being down 2-0 in the opening twenty minutes. It took just 16 seconds in for the Bruins (12-13-5-0) to take the lead by a goal from Connor Clifton (2) followed by Gemel Smith’s (1) backhand off the rebound over Johnson’s shoulder on the power play. The Devils answered when Gignac’s wrister from the high slot sailed past netminder Zane McIntyre for a power play tally of their own with 38 seconds left.
Halfway through the second, Devils’ Captain Kevin Rooney scored his first goal of the season as he re-directed a perfect lob pass by McLeod from the point past McIntyre in front for another power play point. But the tie was broken as Providence retook the lead late in the period as Anton Blidh (6) took advantage of a sloppy turnover from Binghamton in the zone as his shot went top shelf.
In the final period, that’s when the fun began as the BDevils set up a rare comeback with four unanswered goals.
Rooney forced a Bruins’ turnover behind the goal line and found Ryan Schmelzer (4) in front that tied it at three apiece for a shorthanded marker. Soon after Gignac (4) scored his second of the evening as his shot appeared to go through McIntyre’s five-hole that gave Binghamton their first lead of the game. 26 seconds after the lead increased by two when Josh Jacobs (3) soft low shot from a sharp angle had eyes for the back of the net as the crowd went crazy.
With the Bruins down by two, McIntyre was then pulled on a Devils penalty call with 3:12 left for a six on four man advantage. That’s when Johnson was at his best as he came up with some brilliant stops to help out the defense with the Bruins pressure. But Gignac (5) skated to a loose puck and tossed it into the air as it traveled the length of the ice and into the empty net it went with Schmelzer right behind guarding the puck in what would be Gignac’s third of the game. Devils’ were out-shot 32-23.
Line-Up, Game #30
Forwards: Baddock - McLeod - Bastian, Gignac - Rooney - Schmelzer, Riley - Sharangovich - Speers, Edwardh - Ward - Gabriel
Defensemen: Sissons - Jacobs, White - Kapla, Hammond - Gryba
In Goal: Cam Johnson, Charles Williams
Scratches: Brian Strait, Eddie Lack, Marian Studenic, Nick Lappin, Blake Pietila and John Ramage all injured. Eric Tangradi 2nd game of 3 gm suspension
Post Game Notes
- G Charles Williams and F Conor Riley signed to PTO’s as they join John Edwardh and Brian Ward from Adirondack of the ECHL.
- It was as if the Broome Dusters of the ‘70’s resurfaced with the gold and brown of the Bruins away jerseys as Providence made their only appearance of the season.
- With the game tied 3-3 in the 3rd, there was a big collision between Blidh and Rooney as they both crashed into Bruins goalie McIntyre and all three landed on top of one another with the net dislodged. The Devils’ scored 2 quick goals right after as perhaps McIntyre’s bell was rung without him fully recovered.
- There was another violent collision that took place earlier in the 3rd as Devils’ defenseman Josh Jacobs got tangled up with Bruins’ rookie forward Cameron Hughes and both hit the end boards at full steam. Jacobs recovered and scored soon after but Hughes went to the locker room and didn’t return.
- McLeod has been one player that you can’t help but notice when he’s on the ice. Always skating, always being involved and has been a nice addition with his renewed confidence with 18 points (5g,13a) in 30 games for his 1st professional season.
- Johnson had some really good saves in the final minutes to help preserve the win as he’s done an adequate job of filling in with Blackwood up and Lack out. His line reads 4-5-0-0, 3.95 GAA, 0.864 SV%.
- Devils killed a 5v3 for 1:17 in the 3rd with the game tied 3-3 as the team came together with several blocked shots and some good saves by Johnson that’s worth noting PK has improved as of late.
#1. Brandon Gignac (3g, 1a), #2. Kevin Rooney (1g, 1a), #3. Michael McLeod (3a)
Devils with yet another meeting with the Comets in Utica on Saturday before the short Christmas break.