Binghamton Devils’ offense exploded for five goals on Wednesday en-route to a 5-1 victory over the Rochester Americans at Blue Cross Arena. The win helped erase a four-game losing skid for the Devils and also stopped a three-game winning streak to their arch-rivals in the North Division.
Devils’ defenseman John Ramage had himself a three-point night (1g, 2a) and the top line of Quenneville - Sharangovich - Studenic were reunited and shined for a combined five points on the night. Goaltender Mackenzie Blackwood was solid as he bounced back from last Saturday’s poor performance in stellar fashion, making 36 saves to earn himself second Star of the Game honors.
Binghamton (11-14-3-0) got on the scoreboard quickly as John Quenneville continued his recent hot streak as his re-direction went by Rochester netminder Jonas Johansson less than five minutes in. BDevils would make it a two-goal advantage followed by a Rochester turnover from defenseman Zach Redmond, as the puck bounced to Egor Sharangovich off his shin. He in turn scored his fifth of the season for a shorthanded tally.
In the second period, the Devils would score twice within 32 seconds apart to open for a 4-1 lead. First Ramage would slap home his third of the season off a loose puck and Blake Pietila added his ninth with a sharp wrister that picked the far corner of the net, unassisted. That would end Johansson’s evening, as he was then replaced by backup Adam Wilcox after he let in four goals on ten shots.
Rochester’s Sean Malone would end the shut-out bid in that middle frame but yet another turnover led to Kurtis Gabriel in answering back with a rocket from the circle for his second in 17 games.
There would be no scoring from either club in the final 20 minutes as the Devils won their second in a row over the Amerks despite being out-shot 37-31.
Line-Up, Game #27
Forwards: Quenneville - Sharangovich - Studenic, Pietila - Rooney - Bastian, Gignac - McLeod - Speers, Baddock - Ward - Gabriel
Defensemen: White - Jacobs, Kapla - Ramage, Sissons - Gryba
In Goal: Mackenzie Blackwood, Cam Johnson
Scratches: Brian Strait, Eddie Lack, Tariq Hammond, Nick Lappin, Eric Tangradi (1 game suspension) and Ryan Schmelzer (2 game suspension)
Post Game Notes
- Tangradi received a game suspension on his hit to Utica Comets’ defenseman Ashton Sautner last Saturday. Ryan Schmelzer’s (2 games) check to the head of Guillaume Brisebois in the same night with the Utica Comets.
- A nice road win against the top team in the division as the Devils have the Amerks number winning two out of three so far with seven remaining.
- With the win, Blackwood improved to 6-6-1-1 on the season with a 2.59 GAA, 0.917 SV%, a far cry from last year as he continues to prove why he is the BDevils #1 goalie. I have total confidence in him as long as Coach MD utilizes him correctly and not overplay him with any more back-to-backs.
- JQ continues to play well as he has nothing left to prove in the AHL. He should be up with the big club as a result of his fifth goal in the last seven outings for Binghamton.
- Devils’ PK was awesome in stopping all four man-advantages for the Amerks. PP was 0 for 1 but also showed some improvement, however slightly it was. But I’ll take it on both fronts with the struggles it has been.
- Rochester and ex-Devil goaltender Scotty Wedgewood was a healthy scratch as the Amerks continue to experiment with the rotation of three netminders. I’m surprised, as Wedgie had some early success against his former team with the lone win back on Nov 24th.
#1. John Ramage (1g, 2a), #2. Mackenzie Blackwood (36 saves), #3. John Quenneville (1g, 1a)
The upcoming weekend features a visit in Utica to take on the Comets on Friday followed by a home contest the very next night with the Belleville Senators.