Binghamton Devils were shutout 4-0 to the rival Syracuse Crunch on Friday as netminder Connor Ingram stopped all 27 shots he saw. Syracuse Captain Gabriel Dumont had a pair of assists and forward Andy Andreoff scored two goals to lead the Crunch.
The BDevils (3-3-0-0) suffered their first defeat in three games this season at The Floyd as Syracuse (2-2-0-0) dominated play right from the opening face-off. Binghamton starter Mackenzie Blackwood (1-1-0-0, 2.05 GAA, 0.944 SV%) took the loss despite having a decent performance in his second outing of the season.
Syracuse recorded their first goal on a play that sent the tone the rest of the evening. At 4:07 in the first, Dumont was shoved by Binghamton defenseman Michael Kapla into Blackwood knocking the goalie out of the crease, as Andreoff shot the puck into the empty cage for a shorthanded tally and the 1-0 lead. Players from the Devils argued why an interference call hadn’t been whistled but to no avail.
The Crunch made it 2-0 in the second on a powerplay with a beautiful set-up. Off the face-off, Dumont beat Blake Speers and with a drop pass to defenseman Erik Cernak who fed the puck across to forward Mitchell Stephens playing the point, as his wicked one-timer whipped by Blackwood’s glove.
The third goal of the game was a crazy timed play when Danick Martel was parked deep along the wall and fed a streaking Andreoff cross ice as he batted the puck waist high, into the net that gave Blackwood little chance of coming up with a save.
The Crunch ruined any thoughts of a Devils comeback with a six on four man advantage late in the final period as an empty net goal ensued. Rookie Boris Katchouk fed himself a pass off the sidewall splitting defensemen Colton White and Kapla at center ice and potted the puck into the empty net for his first professional goal.
Forwards: Sharagnovich - Seney - Lappin, Tangradi - McLeod - Anderson, Pietila - Studenic - Speers, Gignac - Schmelzer - Gabriel
Defensemen: Strait - White, Yakovlev - Ramage, Studenic - Jacobs
In Goal: Mackenzie Blackwood - Cam Johnson
Scratches: Eric Gryba, Colby Sissons, Brandon Baddock, Kevin Rooney, Nathan Bastian and Cory Schneider
Post Game Notes
- Pietila, Tangradi and Kapla with the A’s.
- Tangradi bumped off of the top line and into the second but was later bounced around the line-up as well making little impact during the process.
- Brett Seney was noticeable, but arguably his worst performance as it appeared his timing was off. Seney was awarded a penalty shot in the opening twenty minutes but was denied by Ingram with a simple kick save.
- Way too many turnovers by Binghamton as Syracuse played a tight, defensive game. Kapla needs to work on his puck making decisions and stop giving up the puck so easily.
- With a shot advantage in favor of the Crunch 31-27, Ingram was clutch when needed as Binghamton attempted to make the most of what little offensive opportunities given.
- Two powerplay goals, two shorthanded ones by the Crunch as special teams play has suddenly emerged as a problem for the Devils.
- Blackwood couldn’t be blamed by any of the three he let in as Syracuse had one of those nights and the fourth was an empty netter.
- During the event it was announced that Kevin Rooney was called up and John Quenneville was sent down. Eric Gryba and Cory Schneider will be in the line-up on Saturday against Cleveland.
#1. Andy Andreoff (2g), #2. Gabriel Dumont (2a), #3. Mitchell Stephens (1g, 1a)
Binghamton Devils play on Saturday on home ice against the Cleveland Monsters. This will be the very first time a Binghamton team face-offs a club from Cleveland.