Rejoice, fellow Devils fans! Even though this was sort of leaked at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, as of a 6pm announcement, the news was made official today. Martin Brodeur will be featured on the cover of EA Sports' NHL 14. As the NHL franchise is the only hockey game remaining in the video game scene to my knowledge, it means that if you're in the market to play some hockey on your PlayStation/XBox/
Sega Dreamcast, you're going to get a big dose of Marty right in your grill. He becomes the first Devil to be a video game cover athlete since Scott Stevens (NHL HITZ 2002).
As John wrote a few weeks ago, it's okay to be excited that Marty was able to win the cover vote. It matters to a fanbase like the Devils - oft criticized about a lack of support over the years - to win a popularity contest. If anyone on the team has deserved it, it is certainly the Devils' legendary goaltender. It's just another achievement to go with his already somewhat ridiculous resume which includes the following:
- 3-Time Stanley Cup Champion
- 4-Time Vezina Trophy winner
- Calder Trophy winner
- Most Career Wins (669)
- Most Career Shutouts (121)
- 2-Time Olympic Gold Medalist
- Most career kittens saved from burning buildings (117)
- 6-Time World POG Federation Tournament champion
- Once got kicked out of a Red Robin for eating for too many of their hamburgers
- When the "Star Wars" Strategic Defense Initiative was first developed, it just consisted of throwing Martin Brodeur up really high in the air so he could deflect enemy missiles away with his blocker
- Most career goals scored by a goaltender (3)
- Won the award for growing the largest pumpkin at the 1997 Sussex County Fair
* - Some records/achievements unconfirmed.
Man, what a guy. Anywho, I think this is a pretty nice de-facto lifetime achievement award for the old netminder. He may not be at the top of his game anymore, but he still has the ability to wow us when he's on (as we saw in the 2012 playoffs). Some of us (myself included) can't even remember a time when he wasn't the guy between the pipes for the Devils and the fans getting him on the cover is a cool tribute.
So are you excited about the cover vote victory? Does it make you any more likely to by the game than you already were? Let us know in the poll below! Once you do that, go talk about how awesome Marty is in the comments. As always, thanks for reading.